Thursday, June 13, 2013

Mission Advice for Concepcion


·Sister #1----


**HEALTH/ HYGIENE/ MEDICINE:
--Some things like contact-lens solution and tampons/pads are really expensive (well, at least 2x the US price).. so I would stock up on what you think you'll use of those in the 16 months you'll be in Chile and bring that with you.
--They don't have anything like pepto-bismol or tums. If you have any tummy/acid problems, I'd     bring some with you. Other than that it is pretty easy to get other medicine you might need. I am not sure about allergy medicine. I found out in my last transfer that I had allergies. I'd bring that, just to be safe.
 I mentioned that we just went back, and my husband was fine the first week, but the 2nd week there every other day he was sick with some sort of tummy problem (vomiting, no appetite, burps.. very uncomfortable). I got sick my first week there too, but it was just once & didn't come back. They sell chewables of peptobismol (takes up less space and is lighter than the liquid!), and I'd recommend taking that.
--I also bought a blow dryer there in Chile (with $ from home) -- because power converters for high-power items are expensive and don't work really well. Buying a chilean blow dryer was a good move. You can find power converters for most items for really cheap in Chile (~$2).

**FOOD:
--The food there is quite different. If you are a 'foodie' at all (or like to cook, or eat what's familiar to you), I'd bring some recipes (everything has to be made from scratch!). What we know as brown sugar doesn't exist down there [no homemade chocolate chip cookies], and some other ingredients are really expensive (cream cheese, sour cream)... but my brownie recipe (from scratch) saved me, and lots of other people! haha.

**CLOTHING/SHOES/COATS:
--As far as clothing goes, invest in some really comfortable dress shoes (2 pair). I wore some that were kind of sporty, but looked like dress shoes still. You will be on your feet ALL THE TIME. I am so sick of standing, to this day (I finished my mission in 2009), because I did it so much in Chile! Many people are willing to be taught outside, standing on their porch, so you might have a 30 min lesson standing outside or talking on the street.
--I brought a waterproof coat too (kind of like a trench coat with a hood and liner), and I loved it. Someone mentioned that they give you waterproof clothes, and they do when you arrive (and take the $ from your missionary allowance for the month) -- they're a navy blue (they were, at least), and they help a lot but aren't quite waterproof (mostly, but if they never dry water still gets through, so it's good to have something to switch off with).
--Rainboots are nice for the winter, but you can buy them there (I actually found old ones a sister missionary had left that fit!).
--I bought a few nice zip-up sweaters (like cardigan/dressy style) while there in Chile. You can always layer if you get cold. A big winter coat isn't necessary. There you can also buy really thick tights that keep you super warm, for about $4. Oh, and bring COLORFUL everyday clothes. Black/tan/gray/white/brown get old fast.
--Also, I gained 30lbs while there (most sisters gain weight there).. and only brought 1 pair of p-day jeans and athletic shorts (which was fine), but if you bring jeans, bring some that are a little on the big size. I'd recommend running shoes (or crosstrainers) and flip-flops. All my shirts worked as pj tops or pday shirts.
--You can also buy costume jewelry for REALLY cheap there.  And clothing is pretty affordable, so if you need to pack light in that regard -- that's the way to go! You can easily find shirts and skirts and sweaters. I'd stick with US-quality shoes, though.. they'll last you longer

**MONEY/ID/OTHER INFO:
--I'd recommend bringing just 1 credit card and 1 debit card and your driver's license. The charge for taking $ out of the ATM is about $6, and your bank usually charges for currency conversion (as does the credit card), so if you have to use money, use the credit card... it gives a better rate than any money-changer would give you (and your bills would have to be CRISP).
--You'll get a Chilean ID after being there for about 3 months (mission office takes care of the paperwork, etc). Oh, and don't bring anything that is really valuable (family keepsakes or real jewelry). Chile is mostly safe, but robberies do happen, and if it's something you'd regret losing, just don't bring it. It'll be safer left at home!



·Sister #2---

--So a mission is not all about how you look , obviously, but I think that we feel better and can teach better when we feel like ourselves. So, bring clothes you would ordinarily wear, and pretty shoes, and bright colors, and jewelry. The wife of my mission president was all about beauty, and she made us get manicures and wear makeup. Not the most important….but there are dreary winter days, and you will feel better.

--So I would tell you to bring boots, a cute rain jacket, cute hats, and bright cardigans. I would also tell you to bring a good backpack, beef jerky (all church leadership who served missions with Americans will love you for it!), gum (you can't chew it in the MTC, but you will want good gum during study time, so you don't snack and snack and get chubby . They don't have good gum in Chile), and church distribution stuff to give away as gifts, stickers, markers or colored pencils, hand warmers, some nail polish.

--If you are worried about being healthy….don't drink their "juice" - it is just sugar, buy fruit and not cookies as you walk around, chew gum during study time, don't eat when you come home, carry around a water bottle and drink a LOT, take a jump rope for cold winter days, and ask for watermelon for deserts instead of ice cream. You don't have to eat everything they serve you.

--After all that…..don't worry about yourself. Lose yourself. They will love you!!!! You will do great - enjoy! It is a very special time.

No comments:

Post a Comment